Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Book Review: Revision & Self -Editing

Recently finished a book that I wanted to share with other writers out there: Revision & Self-Editing by James Scott Bell.
The book is very well done. It was one of those times when I wish I would've come across this earlier. Mr. Bell has done a wonderful job of bringing all the various sources, books, & articles around editing that I've come across into one useful volume. Every chapter gives you exercises on how to apply the techniques outlined--very effective & easy exercises.
More than just a technical manual on editing, Mr. Bell provides deep insight & expert advice on how to be a better writer & build a better story that will keep readers glued to the pages. He reviews everything from description & setting, plot & structure, to character development.
I came away with a whole list of to-dos & new ideas on how to make my book better. Now I have to get to work.
Revision & Self-Editing is definitely a 5-star rating & a must read for all writers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment